Saturday, December 16, 2023

Homemade Hushpuppies, anyone?

good evening friends.          I hope you have had a lovely day today.          it's been a dreary day here with a little rain this afternoon and evening.          but it's been a good day.         so that makes it ok even if it is a little dreary.          we went to see my Momma this morning and any day I get to see her is a fabulous day.       always lots of laughs and fun to be had.      

as I sit here, I hear the train go by in the dark and the horn sounds different in the dark than it does in the daylight.         I don't really know if it sounds different, of if I just think it does.        hahaha        but without fail, when the horn interrupts the airr waves, I always wonder what it's hauling, where all the stuff is going and I also wonder about the person or people on the train.        I also wonder if they ever wonder about the people out there that hear them every time they go by and honk the horns.         I know, that's crazy.        but I never said I wasn't just a little crazy.          hahaha

********************************************************

 hey y'all, lets do a "2 minute in the kitchen with me" segment today.

this is what was for lunch.         a pkg of turkey bacon, each piece cut down the center length ways making 16 narrow strips of turkey bacon.         16 fresh green beans and 4 dill pickle spears, sliced down the center length ways making 8 dill pickle spears

I wrapped 2 green beans together with a strip of turkey bacon making 8 little bundles.       I wrapped the dill pickles with the turkey bacon strips making 8 dill pickle bundles.

popped them in the air fryer for about 15 minutes on 400*.        wow they are soooo stinkin' good.      the green beans cooked perfectly in the turkey bacon and the dill pickles are just really delicious wrapped in the turkey bacon.  

then, I also took some crackers and put just a dab of pimento cheese on them.         so for everything you see on the plates is between 350 and 360 calories each.  

for those that are adventureous, don't hesitate to try this.         pork bacon has more stretch than turkey bacon.       turkey bacon has none, it just breaks, so if you use turkey bacon, be very careful with it.  

I fixed the wrapped pickles a couple of years ago and we really enjoyed them and I forgot about them.  then I started wrapping asparagus and greenbeans.        and just as I was typing this, I thought about zucchini spears wrapped in turkey bacon and I'll definitely have to try that too.  

the sky is the limit as far as what you can wrap and air fry.         it's so good too.          try it, especially if you like tyrkey bacon.           this particular bacon is really nice and tastes so good.   

****************************************************************

ok so, we love hushpuppies.       what can I say, we do.         but, I don't like deep frying them, or frying them in a skillet or anything like that.       so I wanted some hushpuppies today and I made 'em.        no deep frying or skillet frying.  

I have these silicone egg bite thingies that I can use in my electric pressure cooker, or my air fryer or the oven.           I got those out and decided they would be perfect for my hushpuppies.  

just make up your usual cornbread mix and put your egg in and what ever else you put in your, EXCEPT the liquid.         hold off on that for a minute.            get a big onion and grate it in something to catch the onion juice too.            once grated put it all in your cornmeal mix and egg and then start adding your liquid a little at a time till you get it to the consistency that you want it.

then, spray your egg bite thingies with non stick spray and start filling your egg bite thingies up to about half way.        I usually get 14, but this time I just got 13.             I set my egg bite thingies on another tray and popped them in the preheated oven, 400*, and let them cook till they were done, 20 - 25 minutes, I think.             I didn't want them to get real brown in the oven.           I took them out and let them cool off and popped them from the thingies and now, when we want them, I'll pop a couple of them in the air fryer and get the color on them.         let me just say, "they GOOOOOD"!!         yup, they pretty good.  hahaha   

1st pic- cornbread mix, egg and grated onion and juice

2nd pic- closeup of grated onion (can ya smell it? hahaha)

3rd pic- filled up egg bite thingies

4th pic- done and cooling, ice tea spoon to show size of hushpuppies

just a little tip, I used a yellow onion, once it cooked in the cornbread it gets a little sweet.       but if you use a sweet onion, it will be quite a bit sweeter and even more delicious.         this works perfectly to help you take care of a hankering for hushpuppies.           it did us.

and..........if you like the hot style cornbread, just throw some jalapenos in the mix too and maybe a few kernels of whole kernel corn.         now we're talking some extra good stuff going on!!!!           do like I did and make them your own.           and how about a handfull for chopped up okra!!          yup, that'll work too.          oh my gosh, I just made me hungry.        hahahaha

***************************************************

well, I'm hoping I can make it thru this blog post without losing it like I did yesterday!!!     so far so good!!!

that's about all I have today.           I hope you all have a wonderful night of refreshing sleep and rest and that tomorrow is a most wonderful day for all of us.          let us remember to thank God for all the many blessings that He gives us every day.         mainly the gift of life.          we all know people that are sick and hurting,  so let's remember to pray for them and leep them lifted to the throne room.      remember, if you Jesus as your Lord and Savior, God loves you more than you can possibly know.       I try not to take that for granted.         I hope you know Jesus, but if you don't, why not?         it will be the best gift that you'll ever get.       it is the gift of eternal life.         praise His holy name!!!

blessings of love peace and joy be yours!!        hugs, patty

No comments:

Post a Comment