Saturday, January 20, 2024

Pics of some of my dehydrated goods

good morning y'all!!!!!            it's another frigid morning here in my neck of the woods.        it was +2* when I got up this morning, almost high enough to break a sweat!!          hahaha          it was another night that we had to leave the faucets dripping, so we did.         I'm thinking tonight will be more of the same.          I don't think it will get above 17* or 19* today, so it's gonna stay a little chilly for a while longer.         yippee!!!!!!!         not!!!         hahaha          

thank you Lord for your watch care and protection over us during this cold spell.        please don't be  upset at me Lord, for having a weird sense of humor.         but on the funny side of this Lord, please take Alaska back where it belongs.          please!          but if Alaska has to stay here, we'll deal with it, because You will make a way for us to deal with it.         but I am grateful to You for keeping us safe during this.          I love You Lord and I know You're working in this as with all situations that come before us.         You're already there, working it out.        thank You!!!       amen

**********************************************

just wanted to share a couple of pictures. one is of some of my dehydrated goods.         I work on dehydrating bits at a time, really. just trying to keep fresh produce from going bad mostly, especially this time of year when gardening is at a halt. my motto is "cracker crisp, rock hard and bone dry" for a reason.          I don't like losing one morsel of hard work or food. it's like throwing money away.        I don't have money to throw away.         when I accomplish the goal of my motto, I can make powder from anything in my cabinet, if it's been dehydrated. if it's not up to my motto standards, then it's a short term project and will be used up quickly, within a couple of weeks up to a month and no more.        but for the most part, I dehdyrate for long term. sometimes long term for me means six months to a year, sometimes it means 5 years. and when I dehydrate to my motto, I know I'll get up to 5 years out of it.

low and slow is what helps me reach my goal.        setting my temp low and taking all the time it takes to meet my goal is how I do it.        low temps and forgetting about time. it works for me.        and when I need to powder something, it's cracker crisp, rock hard and bone dry, so it's pretty easy.
 
the cabinet has a lot of powders on the top shelf as well as some dehydrated marshmallows.     yum!!     I also have a couple of good sized jars on the top that are vegetable blends from 21 different veggies, all listed on the side of the jar.         it's not really powdered, it just blended to a size about like a coarse salt.        I use it in a lot of soups.      I have 2 jars of that, one has hot pepper and the other one doesn't.

the 2nd and 3rd shelves used to be in order, but I went thru them all at Christmas and made some gift packages for a couple of friends that I thought would enjoy sampling a bunch of dehydrated goods and I just put stuff back and not in place.        so it's jumbled up.

I also do fermenting too and my fermenting jar is on the top shelf and theres some fermented honey and garlic on the bottom shelf.         and there is little jars of honey and maple syrup scattered on the shelves.         it's fun and very tasty to dehydrate some of my fermented veggies.            I have some dehydrated fermented red onions.         I have dehydrated dill pickles and I make what I call dilly dust with it.             you can season just about anything with it.          it's fun to dehydrate and then figure out ways to use it.

I needed to make some cranberry powder this week and I used oranges for one jar and lemons for the other jar.          I use this in my breakfast and like to keep it powdered up.          I just make a small batch at a time.              I filled my coffee grinder half way with cranberries and then put 4 or 5 slices of orange.         I done the same thing with lemon and cranberries.       wonderful combinations too.        I need to get blueberries and lemons and then rhubarb and orange made into powders too.

I love using these in my breakfast bowls every day.         I'll make 6 at a time and they'll rehydrate really nicely.          it's wonderful.


I slice my oranges and lemons with my mandolin to get perfectly thin slices and they dehydrate completely.


while I spend a lot of time dehydrating, I also spend a lot of time using my dehydrated goods.
there's potatoes and mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, stevia, purple basil, cucumbers, garlic, onions, leeks and green onion blades, all kinds of hot peppers, lots of tomatoes ready to make powder from and I don't know what all is in there.         and a lot of it is stuff that I have grown.         I even made zucchini and yellow squash flour from some of my zucchini and yellow squash.         it can actually be used as a substitute for up to 1/4th the regular flour in a recipe calling for flour.           so I'll always have that on hand from now on.

it's amazing at what you can with a couple of cheap dehydrators.
**********************************************
this is about all I have today.        if you're in the deep freeze, please stay safe and think before you do something.         let's keep God at the forefront of all we do and praise Him in all things.        hugs and love to all, patty

No comments:

Post a Comment