Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sweet Potato Pie, Y'all

Ooohhh yes, it's gettin' just about the time of  year that I go to thinking about me some Sweet Potato Pie!!!    My mom gave me a recipe a few years back that is the "best" Sweet Potato Pie recipe, ever; especially after I tweaked it to my liking. ggg

So without much more ado, here's the recipe:

Sweet Potato Pie                 Preheat oven to 350 degrees

3 T. all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup sugar (I use half brown sugar, my tweak)
1 cup cooked, mashed, sweet potatoes
1/4 cup corn syrup (I use either sorghum molasses or dark corn syrup, my tweak)
2 eggs or 1/2 cup eggbeaters (my tweak)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 pinch of salt
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup "evaporated" milk
1 9" deep crust unbaked pie crust

I just start at the top of the list and toss in ingredients and stir after each addition.  Pour mixture in pie shell.  Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until the desired color is achieved.

With the brown sugar and molasses, this pie will be much darker in color and the brown sugar and molasses give it a much deeper flavor than the light corn syrup and white sugar.  Sitting side by side, my moms pie looks like a pumpkin pie and mine has almost the color of a pecan pie.  That's just the difference in the sugars we use.  I have to tell you this, there is very few things I have ever made that will top my moms cooking, but my version of this pie is the stinkin' best I have ever eaten!!!  Just don't tell her! ggggg

Oh, BTW, this recipe is easily doubled.  And the baked pie freezes really well!  Just sayin'!

If I made you hungry for some Sweet Potato Pie, mission accomplished!  I pray the rest of your day is filled with pleasant memories and happy thoughts of an especially wonderful time in your life.  I pray that as you look back, you can see and remember how God was and is the sustaining factor in your life.  Praise God today, for loving you so much, He made it possible for you to call Him "Father"!

Until we meet again, hugs, Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment