Wednesday, May 27, 2020

My Little Garden and a Loaf of Bread

Good evening everyone.    I hope and pray that wherever y'all are that you are enjoying this great evening.     We have had rain for a couple of days and just before it gets dark, the sun comes out.     It is a beautiful sight for sure.     Out in the distance I hear a wise old owl calling to it's tree mate.    When I go out on the deck to listen, it stops calling for it's sweetheart, but when I come back in, it start again.     I'm guessing they are shy and don't want anyone spying on them.    hahaha      Then in the front, right here in the living room, right outside the window where I set and am typing this blog post up, there is a little tree frog talking to me.    He used to be at the window where my husband sits and he is a little jealous that I have his little buddy at my window now.    He can just share with me.   hahaha     Isn't the sounds of nature just wonderful!!!   

Speaking of the sounds of nature, I can almost hear my little garden growing.     My garden is on the deck because I have allergies and being out in the grass and the like is very bad for me, so I started trying to figure out how I could have a little garden.   I had a few things in pots last year on the deck and I have more things this year.      It gets a little daunting trying to figure what will grow in pots and what won't.     I did order some seeds very early in the year, before the pandemic, and I got things that said they were small and good for container gardening.    Anyway, I also ordered a small green house.   My husband got it put up and then he put a wooden frame around it to hold and anchor it to the deck to help it stay put in storms.     It's not the prettiest thing in the neighborhood, but it's mine and I started a lot of seedlings in it after I got them out of the house.    When the weather finally warmed up, I got most of the pots and containers out of the greenhouse onto the deck.     I took a few pictures and wanted to share.     I had a friend who asked about my little garden and this is the only way I could show her pictures of it, so I hope y'all like the pics too.

This is a picture of my Tom Thumb Lemon Squash.  You can see the blossoms in full bloom.   The picture was made on the 24th of May I believe.    I can't remember, but there are squash the size of marbles now.     They will grow to the size of a lemon, thus the name.
This line of produce is the Lemon Squash, the next pot has my Tom Thumb Mini Tomatoes.     No blooms or buds yet, but they are really growing.    Next in the white pot are my Tom Thump Peas.    The bushes are really small and covered with blooms and I have already gotten several peas off them.   I have about 7 plants and just planted the seeds for more and they are above ground.     The next pot is the pot that has my Mini Zucchini Squash.    Should be about the size plant as the Lemon Yellow Squash.    I just got the seeds and got them in the pot.

 This is the other side of the greenhouse door and in the white pot is bush Yellow Wax Beans.    They are up about 2-3 inches as of this morning.     In the picture, there is nothing green, they popped up over night, literally.     The next small pot is one Tom Thumb Pea and I also sprinkled more lettuce seeds around it and those seeds have germinated.     The next white pot is more of the peas and I planted more seeds in it at the same time and those seed are up.    Apparently, the peas will put on a load of blooms and make peas and then they die, so I will keep planting seeds all summer and picking the peas for salads.    Next to that is my Micro Mini Bell peppers.   When the peppers are ready for picking, they will be about the size of a quarter or smaller.      In the next pot was a couple more peas and one was already spent, so I pulled it out and stuck in 2  more seeds and they are up too.
 This is on a shelf in the little greenhouse.   I had an empty ice cream box and filled it with dirt and stuck the root ends cut off of green onions in the soil and I've clipped the greens several times just for the blades to put in salads.    And then next to it is a tray that I got roasted chicken from Sam's Club in.     I saved the tray and put soil in it and sprinkle my mixed lettuce and I've got several clipping of lettuce from that tray.   I started to toss it out and sit it back on the shelf and in less than a week, it's ready to trim again.    So I'll keep it as long as it's growing lettuce.   I didn't figure it would do anything!!   Sure fooled me.   hahaha    Love it though.
 In the short pot in the front is another lettuce that I got in a Misfits Market Box and it had a root ball on it.    I clipped all the lettuce and stuck the root ball in the soil and it took off like a weed and I have cut it back 2 or 3 times already and it's ready again.    Beside it is a radish where I just stuck the top of the radish with the small greens on it in the soil and , who knew, it grew!!!!    hahaha     And beside the lettuce is more of the green onions that I just stuck the rooks in the soil and they grew more green and I just keep clipping them too, for salads.     The big tall palnter is a Green Stalk from greenstalkgarden.com out of Knoxville TN.     It is family owned and operated.    I seen someone talking about it and had seen some others earlier in the year and I liked the looks of these and the watering system they have.     It's a vertical planter.    I have lettuces and micro bell peppers, finger eggplants, golden beets, carrots and I did have some radishes, but they all died.  I ordered the 5 tier planter.    When we got it, it's tall for me to water.    So we made it 4 tiers tall and I ordered another 3 tier planter to stack and have 2 four tier vertical planters.    Off to the side, barely in the picture is the 5 tier and I have it filled and lettuces and mustards  and salad greens are in it, onions and chives too.   These tiers lock together and they have a unique watering system that waters each level equally.     It's a very nice system.    Each tier has 6 large pockets that you plant in.     You actually fill each tier with soil and put the gray water system on and then you stack them and you have access to the pockets and then the rest of the planter is for the root system to grow in.    I will be keeping my eyes peeled for more systems like this to grow in.
I also made some homemade yeast sandwich bread.      I've had a bread machine for a while and hadn't used it for some time and I figured now is as good a time as any to shake the dust off and bake bread.     I had forgotten how fantastic it is.    The picture under this one is actually the first picture and this is the second one.    It does everything, mixes, shapes, kneads, shapes, kneads, shapes and bakes.
This is actually the first picture as it's mixing the dough up initially.   You can see that it really does a nice job of mixing because there is nothing left on the sides when it's done with the mixing.
 Okay, another Lemon Squash picture.  They had several blooms on it, big and beautiful, now there are small squash about the size of marbles.    I want more pots to plant more of these!!!   hahaha
This is my final, baked bread.    It was quite lovely.    My pictures don't do it justice because it was a really beautiful color and I brushed it with butter when I took it form the pan.
This is the final product.    It was delicious.    It's perfect for sandwiches and also french toast.   I made french toast the second day and my word, it was the best I've ever made!!!     So, if you have a bread machine, get that puppy out of hiding and use it.    If you don't have one, look for one at a thrift store or Goodwill.    You can usually get them for around 5 to 10 dollars.    Or buy a new one, like I did back in 2006.    I'll call it vintage.    hahaha      I also have a sourdough started going and will be making some sourdough bread by the weekend.     I can't wait to try my hand at making sourdough english muffins.    I have the recipe, I'm just waiting for my starter to get ready.     

Well, this is my load of pictures for the time being.     Keep an eye peeled, you may be seeing more of my garden.    When I get my second planter, I'll take pictures of it too and share those.   Please forgive all the mistakes in my spelling and leaving words out altogether.    I do that frequently and will usually catch some of my mistakes later on and I try to correct them as I find them.

I hope you seen something that sparked an interest for you tonight.    If you did, share it with friend or neighbor.    Tell someone today, before you go to bed, that Jesus loves them.     Someone you know needs to hear it.    And, just in case you haven't heard it today, "Jesus Loves YOU!!!"     If you ask me how I know,  I can tell you that He wrote a whole book describing His great love for you and that book is called The Holy Bible.   It is the greatest love story ever written.    I pray that peace and contentment will be your head rest tonight and that you have a wonderful refreshing night of healing sleep.    I will certainly claim this for myself tonight and I hope you do too.     Always remember that God loves you, I do too.   Thank you for taking the time to visit with me for a spell.    Hope to see right back here real soon.    be blessed, hugs and love, patty

No comments:

Post a Comment