Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Above all else...

Proverbs 4:23     Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.

Look at that Scripture again.   "Above all else", tells me that this is of most importance.   When someone tells you "Above all else", you perk up and listen to what they are saying, because it is very important.

"Guard your heart".   Have you ever seen movies depicting warriors who had on suits of metal or wielded those big shields to protect their fronts from any attacks, diverting any blows that may come to their chests.   This is kinda the image that the writer is trying to give you.  The importance of guarding your heart, so the fiery darts and arrows from the enemy can't penetrate and injure you.

Have you ever seen anyone you would consider hard hearted?  More than likely, that person had not heeded the warning to "guard your heart".   A hard heart, or unguarded heart does not happen over night.  It happens from repeated exposure to letting ourselves be exposed to the lies of the enemy.

My heart is the seat of all things that make up who I am.  I'm not speaking of the blood-pumping organ.  I am speaking of that place in me that is God-shaped.   You and I should guard that God shaped place in us from the crude, rude, callous, hurtful, hateful things that the world has to offer.  If it is not Godly, the heart of a seeker should know; my head my be in conflict, but my heart, or the God-shaped place in me should know and should be able to discern.  Apart from God, there is no good to be found in me.  Anything good that comes from me, comes from my heart, and ultimately comes from God. I need to keep my heart pure, so nothing impure comes from it. (written by:pjg)

I hope you enjoyed this short devotional.    I have had a blessed day today and I pray that you have also.   I pray when you lay your head on your pillow tonight that you will have at least five things that you can thank God for today.   I pray that God will bless you with peaceful rest and pleasant dreams of heavenly proportions.  Thank God for who you are and Who's you are!!!  If you've accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of you life, you're "A Child of the King"!    

Good night and warm hugs to you, Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment