Sunday, July 30, 2023

2 minutes in the kitchen with me

good morning lovely friends!!!     hope all is well in your neck of the woods.     praying that all are surviving the heat this summer.       we just have to be careful about what we do and when we do it outside.    with august coming upon us, for fun, we'll have to count the number of fogs we have during the month and then see if we have that many snows this winter.    hahaha

*****************************************

let's do a "2 minutes in the kitchen with me".      I had ran out of my favorite buckwheat pancake mix that we get at the local Amish store.        we really enjoy it and had been missing it.       the bag that it came in said that I had paid almost $7 for a bag that was not quite 1 lb.       when I ran out, we started to make a run to the Amish store.       something else came us, we didn't make it.       2 or 3 weeks passed and we still didn't get there.       I finally broke down and just ordered a 5 lb bag of organic, non gmo buckwheat flour from amazon.     and after about 6 weeks of being without, we finally got it.

it came the other day and I set out to get a recipe worked up for our use.       I also made it up just in the dry ingredients and then add my wet ingredients to it when I'm ready to make waffles.      this is what I done and you can do it however you see fit.

Patty's recipe for Buckwheat Pancake/Waffle Mix

1 cup buckwheat flour

1 cup ap flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup raw wheat germ

9 tablespoons of non fat powdered milk

4 tablespoons of granular sweetener (sugar, monkfruit sweetener, stevia.....you can add more if you want to, or even leave it out)

1 tsp salt

2 tsps baking powder

I measured all the ingredients out in a half galllon jar and shook it to mix it real well.    this is like the "meals in a jar" that are so popular today.     as you can tell by the measurements, this makes a little over 4 cups and I'll get several batches from this one jar of my pancake/waffle mix.

also, you can use 3 full cups of buckwheat if so desired or any combination of the 3 flours I mentioned, plus you can add any other flours that you may have, to this mix.     I'm just winging it with this and it will probably evolve over time.  

Instructions for making pancakes/waffles:

1 cup of mix

half cup of water, (maybe more depending on the combination of flours you use.  some flour is thirstier than others.)

1 egg

2 tablespoons of avocado oil (you can use any oil you prefer, or you can use melted butter)

mix well and let sit while waffle iron heats up.  then pour into waffle iron and cook till it tells you they're done.

this will fill my square waffle iron one time.  it makes 4 smaller waffles and 2 apiece is plenty for us.  if you have a larger family, then make more.  if you like them and want more, just make more.  hahaha

I wrote the instructtions out and taped it to the jar that I've got my mix in.     if I do any fine tuning to the recipe, I'll make notations on my jar and then come back to my recipe and readjust it as necessary.

I know what the ingredients are that's in my mix.     even the non fat powdered milk was "clean" as far as ingredients go.      whereas the mix that I had gotten at the Amish store had a list of ingredients in it as long as my leg.      so I love having control of the ingredients I use.

the 5 lb bag of buckwheat flour fit perfectly in a gallon bucket that I had just emptied that had beef gelatin in it.       since it was a food grade bucket, I used that.  I also wrote my recipe for the pancake/waffle mix on the lid so when I run out, all I have to do is read the lid.     I like simple and plain and this is both.

I also wrote the date on the bucket lid.      it will be interesting to see how long this lasts me. and how many batches of waffle mix I get from it.   

considering the fact that the buckwheat flour was around $15 from amazon, and like I said, it was a reputable brand, I know I'll save money.       it could be the very buckwheat flour that they use at the Amish store, I don't know.       while I love shopping local and shopping at the Amish store, we also have to take into consideration, the prices and our checking account.      when prices go up, my job is to find ways of spending less.      I'm not loyal to any product, store or any individual that doesn't care about us and what we can afford.        never have been, never will be.       I shop local when I can, but I'm not busting the bank for businesses that make it hard to shop local.       I have never cared what others do and still don't.         I'm looking out for us and everyone has to decide for themselves who they support.        having said that, I hope someone finds this recipe useful.

*****************************************

well, short and sweet this time.     better than nothing though.     just know that if you are in a relationship with Jesus Christ, that's the best relationship you'll ever have.     Christ loves you and so do I.    blessings to you all.   hugs and love, patty

No comments:

Post a Comment