Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Jar full of Potatoes, Yay!!!

Good morning Blessed Ones!!!!        How are y'all doing this morning???       I hope and pray that you're good.       I've had a somewhat of a busy morning.       I got out and cleaned up my deck garden and cut out everything I could and got my pots cleaned up and ready for storage for the winter.       I still have a bunch of peppers and tomatoes and strawberries in my garden towers.      The strawberries will winter in them and hopefully come back next spring.       They're supposed to anyway, but that's yet to be seen.      My peppers are still doing well right now.      I'm having to start watching the weather like a hawk, so I can put my frost covers on the towers if necessary.       My peppers in pots, hopefully I can get them moved either in the green house or to the garage over night, if necessary.      But it feels so good having that mess cleaned out.     At some point in time I'll have to start thinking about what I'm planting next year and start making notes and I would like to get some good seed starting soil and have it ready.    I think that may be one thing that I didn't do right for this year.      I didn't get the proper seed starting soil.     So, I hope I can do better moving forward.     We'll see.       I'm quick to say that I'm not a gardener.      But I do know the Original Gardener on a first name basis and He helps me.      I plant and pray and He blesses my efforts.    That's my kind of gardening!!!!      hahaha       Thank You Lord for blessing my efforts.

Yesterday I put about 4 or 5 lbs of sliced potatoes on my dehydrator.     I took them off this morning and almost filled my gallon jar.      Another couple of trays will fill the jar to the rim.      The jar holds what would be about the equivalent of 12 - 14 boxes of scalloped potatoes.

What I do is peel them.       I put on my stock pot with water in it and get it to boiling while I'm peeling and slicing the potatoes.      Then I slice them on my mandolin.      As I slice them, I drop them in water to help soak some of the starch out of them.       When I get them all peeled, I take them from the starch water and put them in the boiling water.      I let the water come back to a boil and set the timer on the stove for 4 minutes.     While it's coming back to a boil, I take the bowl that I had soaked them in and I fill it with cold water and ice.     When they come from the boiling water, I drop them in the ice water bath to stop them from cooking.     Once they are cooled enough, I start placing them on my dehydrator trays.     I set my dehydrator at 120* and set the timer for 48 hours and let it go.       They are done when they are done and not a second before.      hahaha       

These pictures are not of what I done yesterday, but they are of what I done in September.      I forgot to take pictures yesterday, but this is the exact same process.       This is of my potatoes soaking in water in my colander that  I use in my pressure cooker.       As a matter of fact that is my inner pot of one of my pressure cookers.     It's the perfect size.

This is when I put the colander down in the boiling water to parboil for 4 minutes.

When I took it from my stock pot, back it went into the pressure cooker liner filled with ice water to stop the cooking process.       After it was perfectly cooled, then I started putting them on my trays.    The pic below is of 2 of my trays filled.

This is a view of the potatoes inside the jar, looking thru the side.     It is a beautiful sight to me.      They are such a great color.  
This is a view of the potatoes down thru the top of the jar, just a really pretty sight.       I have to say that it feels really good to have the jar as full as it is.     I hope I can get it completely full.  

Well, it's just about lunch time and it's not fixing itself.      hahaha       So, I gotta get that done.       I hope you have a blessed rest of your day.       Tell someone that Jesus loves them.        It's the best thing that you can tell someone.      So, let me tell you that Jesus loves you and I'm pretty sure that there's a picture of you on His refrigerator.      hahahaha       I do know for a fact that He does love you.    He loves us all.      For that, I'm eternally grateful.     Just so ya know, I love y'all too!!!  hugs and blessings today, patty  (ps: forgive any typos, I try to correct them as I find them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment