Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Dehydrated Watermelon and Sourdough Starter

Good morning blessed friends.       It is kinda soggy here in my neck of the woods today and that's ok.    I think most of the rain has moved on out.       It's always a change in weather that gives the opportunity to do something different.      I went out to what's left of my deck garden and got a hot pepper to cut up and put on my breakfast sandwich.       I love hot pepper on them every morning.      That's something that my Grandmother on my Daddy's side always done.      I remember when I was a kid she had a pot of pepper that she moved from window to window in her house and she kept that single pot of pepper for years.    It had the hottest little peppers I ever seen on it.     They were tiny, but they always say that dynamite comes in small packages.    If that's so, then these little peppers were dynamite.      hahaha       I love for memories like this to come to mind.       It's always good to reflect and remember some of the things from yesteryear that helped you to become who you are.  There are many things about my Grandmother, both of Grandmothers, that helped make me the woman I am today.       I seen both of them work hard.       I seen my Momma work hard.       All the people I came from were hard workers and I have tried to be like them.      I hope I have made them proud.      More than anything else, I hope I have made my Savior proud.  

Sometimes when we read scriptures, we want to read stuff into them that's not there.      Other times we want to gloss over or ignore what scripture actually does say.       Sometimes we think it says one thing and it actually says something else.       Or we will take scripture out of context and that's one way we try to make it say what we want it to say.     When we read scripture we must be open to the truth that scripture reveals to us.    When reading scripture, we need to be open to what the Lord wants to show us.    Scripture never changes but our understanding may change.     Scripture is the Living Word of God.     He may show us something in addition to what He showed us yesterday, from the same scripture.      What ever He shows us, we need to take it to heart, even if we don't understand it yet.     When I read the scriptures, I ask God to open my mind to the understanding of what I read and open my heart to receive what I have understood.       Understanding, knowledge and wisdom go hand in hand.     We will never have wisdom until we first have understanding.      Understand what we read.       Having a concept of what words actually mean.       If we don't understand words, we'll have a hard time understanding what we read.      

When I was still teaching a Sunday School class, I would take a word from the scripture that happened to be a focal word and I'd do an in-depth word study on that word.      When we got into the lesson and I started sharing about a particular word, I would see ladies having what I called "lightbulb moments".  Instantly, they got it.      And a word that they had known for 70 years took on a completely different meaning after we went thru the mini word study.      I have wept many tears of sweet joy when a lady or several ladies would come to me after class and tell me they had learned more in the last 45 minutes than they had in the last 70 years.      What a blessing.      I sure do miss that class.      Sadly, most of those ladies have gone to their heavenly home.      But they sure was a blessing to me.

I say that to say this.      If you find yourself struggling with understanding a particular word, do your own word study.     Find out what the word means in the secular world.       Then find out what it means in the biblical world.      See if the two arenas, secular and biblical, have any common ground and go from there with what the particular word means.      Honestly, I think that is how we come to grow in our understanding, knowledge and wisdom.   

I don't know what all I'll be getting in to today.       I am hoping to get some sourdough bread made.      I have a starter that I have been working on and I took out some of it this morning to make what is called sourdough "discard".      When you feed your sourdough, it's makes for a stronger and healthier dough if you take some out, "discard", before you feed it each time.      The discard is still perfectly wonderful to use in some type of bread.       I have used discard in cornbread.      That is some kind of "deliciousness" right there too.        I am actually looking for an english muffin to make with my discard today.       I'm trying to find something that  is lower in calories and carbs than the usual english muffins or even breakfast breads in general.       But, we'll see what actually happens today concerning my bread.      I need to go to the store sometime today too.      I actually need to go somewhere or make an online order and get me a new digital kitchen scale.      My digital scale is hit or miss.      I've had for many years and it wasn't great when I got it.      I just don't even know where to begin looking for one.  So, I guess I'll just start and see what I find.      I can do that.

If I do anything worthy of pictures today, I'll share with y'all.      Oh, I almost forgot, I have a watermelon I need to get cut up and put on my dehydrator.      The last dehydrated watermelon of the season.      Kinda sad to think about.      We have enjoyed our dehydrated watermelon.

This is what my dehydrated watermelon looks like.       Almost like strips of bacon.        It is delectable.  So funny take a bite of something that is so familiar, yet so strange and delicious.

Have you ever had crispy watermelon?        Well, if you have  a dehydrator, it's not too late to try it.       I cut it about 1/8th to 1/4th inch thick and set my dehydrator at 125* and then set it to 48 hours and let it go.      It's dry when it's dry and not until.      Time means nothing when dehydrating.      Everyone wants to know how long it will take.       Don't worry about how long it will take because you can NOT rush the process.      If you do, you get mold and that is definitely NOT the end result you are looking for.    For the watermelon, I store it in the fridge in a n airtight container and it keeps it really crispy and snaps when you bite it just like a potato chip.     Yes, it's that crispy.

Well, I guess that's about it for today.      Hope you read or seen something here that was interesting to you.      Tell someone today that they are loved more than they could ever imagine, by Jesus Christ.      I hope someone tells you today, "I love you".      If you haven't heard it yet today, well, you just read it and that was me telling you that I do love you all.      May you have a great day today, a day filled with blessings that comes only from our Father.      hugs, love and bountiful blessings, patty

No comments:

Post a Comment