Saturday, October 20, 2018

Cultural Arts 2018, a Tip, and Fun stuff

Good morning from my neck of the woods!!!     It's a fine October morning from here in my neck of the woods.      We are in a rainy spell and I guess that has to be ok, since I can't change the weather.     I just have to go with the flow.     I am definitely ok with that because with the Fall weather comes cooler temps and I am a happy camper with that.     I just don't do hot weather very well.     When I get hot, I don't turn red like a lot of people do.     No, I bypass red and go directly to purple!!!      Now, you would think that since purple is my favorite color, I wouldn't mind that.     I love purple, I love wearing purple, I just don't love BEING purple.   hahahaha     It is very hard to camouflage!!     Oh, it's impossible to camouflage!!!!!      So, that's why I dislike heat and hot weather.     So, if you see someone that is purple, just know that they are as close to meltdown as a human can get without bursting into flame!!!!   hahahahaha

With Fall being official now, we can expect to see a lot of beauty in color.    I guess that has to be my favorite thing about Fall.     Pumpkins and all the fall squash, the beautiful mums, not to mention all the many hues and colors of leaves.    God can certainly paint a gorgeous picture with all that He has designed just for our viewing pleasure.     Fall is also the time of year that we start seeing fresh Sorghum being made and sold.    Oh my, how I do love me some good ole Sorghum on a freshly baked, homemade biscuit with hand churned, homemade butter!!!!     Now I must tell you that this conjures up all kinds of childhood memories.    Mom's fresh homemade biscuits!!!    Mamaws freshly churned hand made butter!!!!   And Mr. and Mrs. Beliles fresh home made Sorghum!!    There is nothing any better than that!!!!   Nothing in the realm of eating that tops that!!!     Those are just some of the foods that I remember vividly from childhood as if it was yesterday!!!     There is very few times in life that I would go back to for a few seconds if I could, but for this one time that I would go back long enough to eat a biscuit with butter and sorghum, all made by the hands of the ones that I mentioned.

We have been walking a lot at our local green way and have been enjoying that tremendously.    I have taken several pictures along the way and have enjoyed looking at them as a reminder of all the beauty that is close at hand, it's just up to us get out and find it and ENJOY it.    If you have an area that you can walk in that's out in nature, seek it and take advantage of it.    We see lots of animals, mostly deer and turkey.     I haven't been very successful at getting good pictures of them, but I have enjoyed seeing them.    It's always good to get out in God's nature and see just exactly what He has created for our viewing pleasure.    Do you have any idea just how beautiful a decaying tree is that is still standing and full of nature?    Such as a habitat for birds and squirrels and all kinds of insects.   There is a big tree just off the walking path that has long since died, but it provides life and shelter for lots of creatures.    There is even all different kinds of mushrooms growing up the side of the tree.    I am happy, that for now, the farmer has decided to leave the tree.    If at some point in time, it starts shedding so much that it gets in the way of him putting a crop, I'm sure he will take it down.    But for now, we get to enjoy it.    Well, anyway, I hope that if you get the opportunity to get out, that you go for it, it will be a blessing.   Plus it will help strengthen your immune system, for the upcoming winter season.
************
This time of year, my Family Community Education Club starts ramping up for all the late summer and fall festivities.   Just as school has started back in my neck of the woods, we also had our Cultural Arts and Fashion Revue for the county clubs to show off all their arts and crafts we have been busy with since last year.   It is always a great time to get together to see what everyone else has been up to.   Just a few of weeks ago my club hosted the Creative Day for our county and it was a pretty good success.   I was one of the teachers and shared 3 things to make.   One was a "take and make" and the other two was "make and take".  It was fun.   One of the ladies that done one of my classes entered her canvas pin in the Cultural Arts and came in 1st place with pin!!   It also won place in the County Fair!!!    Yay!!!  Woop Woop!!   I had entered several items and actually did place on several of those items.  I can't wait to find out everything that I actually placed on.   We used to leave with ribbons of color to distinguish what place we garnered a ribbon, but we haven't had ribbons for about 3 years now and it is very disappointing to not know exactly what you left with.   So, I think I may have to lovingly speak on this matter soon.  

We had the County Fair, and we all was busy for few days getting those last minute entries whipped up.    But before we had our Fair, several of us went to a neighboring county to be judges in their fair.   That is exciting for me.    This is the first time I have gotten to do this.   Back earlier in the summer, four of us from my county went to another county for a new program that is just starting.      As  a matter of fact, this was the first class of it's kind and my former Extension Agent wrote most of the curriculum for the class and it will be tweaked and more added to it in the years to come.     We are trying to get a more uniform method of judging instead of judges just giving ribbons to the type of craft they like.     We will have guidelines to base our judging on instead of our own personal likes.     I think this will be a more fair way of judging any of the items entered.     I have always said that I know a lot about a lot of crafts, that's true.     But even if it's something I haven't done or don't care to do, I can look at it objectively and see how much work went into it or not.     I know some of my early fair entries was judged based on what the judge liked, not on the overall product.    Had they been scored on uniform scoring guidelines, there is no doubt they would have placed and probably in 1st place.     That is water under the bridge and hopefully when judges are chosen this year, they come from the pool of ladies who went to the Judging class.

Then after the County Fair, comes our 3rd annual Quilt Show on the first Saturday in October, also sponsored and put on by the Family Community Education Clubs.     People that have visited our Quilt Shows have said they are far greater than some of the larger quilt shows they have been to.    And I know that is a fact, because I've been to several myself and the one we put on was far better than anything I've been to.    Last year we about 128 items on display, maybe more.   It is an awesome way to spend a day of your time.  I don't know exactly what I will be doing this year, but in the years past, I have tried to learn as much as possible about the quilts as I can.  Then if I'm monitoring the quilts, I could walk up and share some of the info that I had gleaned form the person or people that brought them in.    They all seemed to enjoy that and I certainly enjoyed sharing the info.   Some of the old quilts are totally unbelievable!!!    To look at the size of pieces used in some of the quilt squares in remarkable!!   We had the Quilt Show and it was a huge success!!!  People keep telling us that it only gets better and better and I do believe that.

After the Quilt Show, another project comes about and that is the Presidents Luncheon.     It is for all the presidents of all the county clubs and the County Council members.    Since I am v. p. of my club, this has nothing to do with me.    hahaha    I can't remember if the Christmas Sampler comes before the presidents Luncheon or not.     The Christmas Sampler is where all the artisans meet at the Civic center and sell their wares.    And also, this is not a project of the Family Community Education Clubs, we just support the event and one of the clubs always has a vendors booth selling kitchen knives as a fundraiser for their club.    Years ago, the majority of goods at the Christmas Sampler was hand made, but now the majority of it is made in China and it's not as fun as it used to be to go.     There are still a few vendors who sell their hand made goods and those are the ones I try to support.    Although I don't have as much to spend as I used to, I still enjoy looking at the hand made goods more than I do the cheap stuff from China.  But the Christmas Sampler is the kick off the Christmas season and then all the stores and shops in the downtown area will have special nights for shopping until Christmas.    The Christmas Parade will be in the mix also and that's always a good day for the down town shops. 

Anyway, this is just a rundown of what's on my agenda from now till the end of the year.     I hope all y'all have plenty of activities to keep you excited about what's going on in your life.     Oh yeah, I do have something coming up in September too.     I just can't share it right now, but after the fact, I will bombard y'all with more pictures than you even want to see.    hahahaha      How is that for whetting your appetite?      Is that enough to keep y'all tuned in to see what I'm talking about?    I sure hope so!!
************

One of the things not mentioned on my agenda was an 8 Day Eastern Caribbean Carnival Cruise.     I just got back from that.     I was blessed and fortunate enough to get to take another cruise with my Mother.     We always have fun, so this was no exception.      We went with 2 ladies, another mother daughter team from Mom's church.   They are actually cousins of mine on my Dad's side of the family.    We had a grand time!!!!!    Blessed and highly favored is the words that comes to mind.  I am so thankful to God for this trip!!!   I am also thankful to my husband for being loving and gracious enough to let me go and enjoy this time with my mother.    If you are a follower of mine on facebook you can find my pictures there.     It is hard to imagine all the beauty out in this creation, made by God's own hands, just for us to enjoy!!!!!   I think sometimes I forget that.   And as beautiful as the earth is, it is always good to get home and just be thankful for a place to rest my head beside my husband that God has graciously given to me.     We actually celebrated our anniversary on Sept. 6th and we left on very early Sept 7th for our cruise getting back on late Sept 16th.     

We left from Port Canaveral Florida going to St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan Puerto Rico, and Grand Turk.    We got off at each port of call and looked around for a bit but got back on the ship in pretty quick fashion.     I don't like being very from the ship.    That was my home for the duration and I don't like being away from home.     So Mom and I spent more time on the ship than most did, but that's ok with me and I hope it was ok with her.     I just didn't want anything to happen while we was off the ship.     After all, I had my Mom with me and I consider her to be precious cargo and tried to look after her as such.

One word of caution about the Port in Port Canaveral.    Upon arriving back to the port, disembarking meant we had to go down an escalator with our luggage in tow!!!!      Now, I am not and have never been a fan of escalators!!!!     This was NO different!!!!!     Had I known that disembarkation meant going down that freaking thing, I would probably have stayed at home!!!    Yes, that's true!!!!     I almost fell down the stinkin thing and my Mom was right behind me and I was terrified for her!!!    If we had known this was coming up, I believe we could have gome down an elevator or stairway or something!!!    Anything but this!!!!      So, if you are ever leaving from Port Canaveral, just know that disembarkation means an escalator.     

Also on the Carnival Sunshine, our cruise ship, you have to go thru Muster before the ship sets sail. This is the second time I have ever cruised.    The first time our Muster Station was inside the ship.  This time it was outside on a walkway and it was 90+ degrees in the shade and 95 percent humidity with 1000 people crowded in this area!!!!!   Plus, all of the people was not showing up at their Muster stations on time.    Would that I could have cracked some heads together!!!!!     My Mom and I was on time, promptly and in the very first line that was backed up against a wall with about 6 or 7 other lines of people directly in front of us, all shoulder to shoulder and elbow to elbow!!!!     The sweat was rolling from us and my Mom was getting red and hot.    We both were.    A man in front of us turned around and seen my Mom and seen that she was not feeling well and started yelling "Clear the way, sick lady coming thru", he was head and shoulders taller than everyone else and he was yelling that till we got off the deck and out of his sight.    God bless him and his wife for doing that.   Someone finally brought her a glass of ice water and she got cooled down and we was ok then.

It was good time, a good cruise and all done with great people.   We met a lot of wonderful people and I wish I would have had the forethought to get more names and info on how to stay in touch.   I think of them often and pray well wishes for them.   Just so thankful for the opportunity that God gave us to get to go on another cruise together.  praises for that!!!
************
My tip for this post is to look for God in all circumstances.    For those who say there are coincidences, I say there is no such thing.   There are a lot of God-appointed events and happenings, but no luck or coincidences.   Look for God to show up in ever situation.  Whether you look for Him or not, He's still there.   I challenge you to look for Him and thank Him for being there at all times.

If you are not in relationship with God through His Son, I also challenge you to dig deep and figure out why not.   That is the best relationship you will ever have and it really is the beginning of every other real relationship you will ever have in your life.   That one relationship will also determine your future.   People always like to say that God sends people to hell.   That is a lie straight from the pits of hell.   Our choices in this life determine where we will spend our eternity.   So if you can NOT say with assurance that your eternity will be spent in the presence of Jesus Christ, then right NOW is the time for you to make the right decision.   It should be an easy decision.   Before a person knows Christ as personal Lord and Savior, that person does not know what he does not know.  Sounds simple, but it's anything but simple.   Why would anyone curse God if they knew the benefits of being in a real relationship with Him?   They wouldn't.   That's why I say we don't know what we don't we don't know.   So, call a trusted friend, go to a bible teaching preaching church, read your bible, ask the Holy Spirit to open your eyes to the things that you don't know.   Do what ever it takes to know God thru Jesus Christ!!   You will NOT regret it!!   It's not easy being a Christ follower, but it is rewarding.  It is rewarding in this life and we can't even begin to imagine the rewards in the future.   So I challenge you to dig deep and search for God, He is waiting for you!!!

That's about all I have tonight.   It's been a long day and I'm ready to call it a day.   Hope to hear that some of y'all went to church tomorrow because you read my blog.   Hope to read that some of y'all accepted Christ  because you did dig deep and find God right where you are.   I hope and pray that y'all have a wonderful refreshing night of rest and that  tomorrow is a wonderful day for each of you!!   Remember that God loves y'all and so do I!!!     Big hugs and much love, patty

2 comments:

  1. Great devotional....I love how God paints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tina!! You better believe it, I love how God paint's too. He's the real artist!! Love you!!

      Delete