Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Recipes and a Snow Day

Good evening Y'all!!!      Is it cold where you are?      It is where I am.      Oh, it's not cold as it is other places, but it feels colder than it really is.       We had a pretty good little snow flurry last night and we still have white stuff around.      When we got up this morning, we couldn't wait to see what it looked out side.      It wasn't much, but my sweet husband said, "Snow day!!!"     So we had a snow day today.  hahahaha    There wasn't anyone to tell us we couldn't have a snow day, so we enjoyed it.     Not that we done anything, but still, it was a snow day.     hahahaha

So, for this snow day I was in the kitchen.     I made a pot of Electric Pressure Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken Chili.      It is delicious!!!!!       I made some cornbread swirls, they were delicious and the recipe is below.       Then after lunch, I made a pot of "hamburger helper noodles and sauce".      It is delicious too.    I like to have at least a couple of good pots of good stuff in the fridge to eat on during the week and these 2 dishes meet the needs.   

Tomorrow, I will be getting my Misfits Market box and will be making room in my fridge to put it in and I'll get my dehydrator going and get some items dehydrated for long term storage and then to use in my cooking.      I love dehydrating and I love to use my goods in dishes.

So,  today was the day that I got my cornbread swirls made and I might say, they are delicious.      yay!!  They are a copy of the cornbread swirls you can buy in a can at the store and peel out like a canned biscuit.    When not on sale, they are about $2 a can.      They are good, but I can't pay that much for them.       So, I set out to figure out how to make them.     Guess what, I did.

This is the recipe for the cornbread swirls:

This is a bread machine recipe.      For those of you who know how to make yeast bread, just do what you know and knead it and let it rest and knead it and let it rest over and over for about 30 minutes.

For bread machine set on "dough":

1/2 cup luke warm milk

1 egg

1 box of jiffy corn muffin mix (recipe below to make this mix)

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp yeast

1 tbls melted butter

1/4 cup cornmeal-optional

Put first 5 ingredients in bread machine in order as listed.      Run dough cycle on machine.       (It will knead the dough and rest many times during the 1.5 hours of time.       I don't keep it in there that long.  I take it out after about 45 minutes.)        Remove the dough and roll to about 15 x 8 inch triangle.    Once you get it rolled out flat and thin, turn the long side towards you and roll the rectangle into a log.  Shape it pretty good and then slice it in about 1 inch slices and reshape as you put on parchment lined baking sheet.       Brush with melted butter and sprinkle extra cornmeal on them, if you want to.      Let rise for at least 30 minutes.      Preheat oven to 375* during the last few minutes of rise time.        Bake for 12-15 minutes.      Enjoy!!

While the jiffy corn muffin mix is relatively inexpensive, you can make even that mix yourself for actually pennies.

Cornbread Muffin Mix:

2/3 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup cornmeal, yellow if you prefer

1/3 cup of sugar

1 T baking powder

1/2 t salt

2 T oil

Mix the first 5 ingredients well.       Wisk in oil till smooth and no clumps.      Use this as you would the cornmeal muffin mix in a box.  

The good thing about this mix is that you can pronounce everything in it.      It's also a bit healthier than the stuff you can't pronounce.

To make muffins: add 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk.

To make cornbread swirls with this mix: use the mix just like it was a cornbread muffin mix in a box and then add all the ingredients from the Cornbread Swirls recipe.

The muffin mix can be made in big batches.        Just don't add the oil.        If it isn't used in a timely fashion, the oil can go rancid.       So, when you use it from a big batch, for every 8 oz of muffin mix, add 2 T of oil and wisk it till is blended well and no clumps.      Then proceed with the cornbread swirls or regular muffins.

These are really good recipes and I hope y'all can use them and bake lots of cornbread swirls.


This is a couple of pictures of my cornbread rolls and they are as good as they look.        I was kinda proud of them and love that I can make them any time I want to and with recipes, y'all can too.     I hope you do enjoy them.

That's about all I have this evening.       I pray that as you wind your day down and get ready for a night of rest that you will talk to God sometime and thank Him for this beautiful day that you got to be a part of.      Remember those around us who are sick, healing from surgery, suffering from a broken heart because of the death of a loved one.       There are so many who are hurting tonight and I lift those precious people to our Lord to comfort as only He can.       I pray that He will mend the hearts of the people of this nation and all across the world tonight.      We are in a season of unrest, but we as Christians know that our rest is from the Lord and we can rest when we know Him.       Tell someone tonight that Jesus loves them.        Sometimes we forget that He really does.      So, let me tell y'all, Jesus loves each and every one of you.     He wants to be in your life.      He wants you to want Him in your life.       He loved us enough to die on the cross in our place.         That's love.      I pray as you fall asleep tonight, you know that you know that you know, you belong to Him and nothing can change that.   Good night y'all!!!!!   Jesus loves ya and so do I.    hugs, love and blessings beyond measure, patty

No comments:

Post a Comment