Sunday, November 17, 2019

Poinsettias and more

Good morning friends, from my neck of the cold woods.    It went from summer to winter in  about 15 minutes here.   hahaha    It's all good though.   I have to trust that God is in charge and He will look after us.    I always heard the saying "cold hands, warm hearts" and I do believe there is some truth to that.   Most of the time, working hands will be cold hands, if you work outside.    And most of the people that work outside, work for the good of others.   So with that thought in mind, "cold hands, warm hearts" is very true. 

I still have to get my little deck garden wrapped up for the winter.    I need to get my pots off the deck and put up, and the soil in the pots in a container, so I can use it again next year, and with a little amending to the soil, it will be good to go next spring.   I have been saving seed from some of the veggies and peppers and the like, so I can get a few plants started inside, so I have my own starts and not have to buy as much as I did last year.  Plus I have some ideas and intentions on some other stuff too.   Hopefully it will work out as I plan.   If not, that's ok too.   It's just fun to think and plan a little.

I wish I would have gotten some pictures of some of my pots this past summer.   I will certainly have to make sure I do get some pics next season, for sure.

Speaking of seasons and growing, yesterday was open house at one of the local green house companies in my area.    They have over 25 acres of green houses that are all connecting and it makes for a huge city of green houses.   This time of year, they are all about poinsettias!!!   Some of the most beautiful ones I ever seen.   A friend of mine and I went yesterday morning and toured the place and it was a wonderful outing and we actually got a free, small poinsettia!!   It is really cute.    They had oceans of color and it was breathtaking to see.   Even seeing some of the machinery that they use.   It was a wonderful day.


































This is most of the pictures I took yesterday.   It really is a beautiful place to walk through.   If you get the opportunity to tour a place like this where you live, do it.    You won't be disappointed.   It is one of the season's must do activities in my neck of the woods.  They get bigger every year as people learn about it.   They come from all around the state and neighboring state.   I can't wait to hear how many people toured the place.
************
I don't know if any y'all have ever heard of "Fire Cider".   I have been watching videos and seen people making it.   It is really good for you to help stave off some of the winter ailments that we are prone to come in contact with during the season.    I have been sick with allergies, and a chest cold, and on the verge of pneumonia as of late and I just needed something as an extra boost and when I seen these videos, I knew that's what I needed.     So, I got all the items to go in it and I have a gallon jug of "Fire Cider" steeping right now.    You can put most anything in you want, but I stuck with the more traditional recipe.   This isn't an exact science.   You chop what you have or what you got, don't worry about the measurements.    It's all about the ingredients.   I'll share the ingredients I used.

Fire Cider

turmeric roots, chopped
ginger root, chopped
horseradish root, chopped
cinnamon sticks, several
black peppercorns, couple tablespoons
lemon, 1, zest the peel and slice lemon when zest is removed
orange, 1, zest the peel and slice orange when zest is removed
jalapenos or habenaros, hottest you can stand, several sliced, at least 6 or 8
garlic, good amount, course slice
large onion, diced
apple cider vinegar, raw, with mother

Chop and dice everything.   You want as much of each item exposed to the vinegar as possible.  That's why you to slice thin or dice pretty fine.    As you get one item diced or sliced, put it in your large jug and just layer it all in there.   When all items are diced, sliced and in the container, pour vinegar over the ingredients, make sure everything is down in the vinegar, put the lid on and sit somewhere out of heat and cold.    Remove the lid daily or at least about every other day and stir it around a little.    Let it sit for at least 4 to 6 weeks with checking it daily or every other day.  You want as much of the nutrients to be leached from the vegetables, citrus and roots as possible.   When the appropriate time has passed, strain it into a container and you have just made your own "Fire Cider".   Take a tablespoon or so each day.   If you feel something coming on, take a tablespoon several times a day.   I'm not a dr or anything like this, so if you know you are allergic to something in this, do not use it.    The spicy heat from horseradish root, ginger root, onions, peppercorns and jalapenos or whatever HOT pepper you choose is what really helps to ward off sickness.   Some people sweeten it with raw local honey, but I'm not going to do that yet. 

Mine is almost 3 weeks in the making, so I still have a few days to go.   As soon I get this batch strained, I may try to use the same ingredients again and just add more HOT pepper and cinnamon sticks this time.   And make another batch.   When that is done making Fire Cider, I'm going to get out my dehydrator and dehydrate everything left from making Fire Cider mixture and then grind it in to powder and see if it will maybe have the same kind of medicinal affect in powdered form.    It may be a waste of time, but at that point, that's all it will be, is a waste of time.   So, we'll see what I can come up with.   But for now, my Fire Cider is in the making and I am so anxious for it to get done.

I am also going to try my hand at making some elderberry syrup.   The medicinal compounds in elderberries is wonderful and it works great as medicine to ward off some of the winter ailments also.   I think with that, all you have to do is steep the elderberries in water, and reduce the water down and then add local raw honey as a sweetener.   I have some elderberries, just haven't gotten around to try that yet. 

This is just a couple of natural remedies that can be made at home to help you stay healthy and ward off some of the winter bugs that we come in contact with.   And since they are using all natural items, there shouldn't be any problem with them other than if someone has allergies to any of the ingredients.     If you know you have an allergy to something, you can just leave it out.

Anyway, this is what I'm doing to try to get healthy and stay healthy.   If you have a problem getting over something like I do, you might want to try something like this too.    Do not hear me say that this is to take the place of medical treatment by a dr, because it's NOT.   These are just to boost your immune system and it is definitely not to replace seeing a dr when necessary.    Just trying to make that clear.    I am not a professional in any way.    hahaha     Maybe a professional gabber, but nothing else.    So don't use this as treatment when you should see a dr!!!!!!   Got that!!   hahahaha
************
Well, that's about all I have today.   Let me just say that God is waiting to have a relationship with you thru the shed blood of His Son, Jesus Christ.    He loves His creation, but the only way to have a relationship with Him, is thru Jesus.     He wants to have personal connection to each one of us.   But it's up to us.    Just know that He is waiting for you/us to come to Him.    Don't put that relationship off too long, the opportunity may not come again.    Confess your sin, admit your guilt and accept Christ as your Savior.   That's the best thing that will ever happen to you in this life.    That single step will settle your eternal future.    Praise His Holy Name!!!!!

Have a blessed day and hope to see your right back here real soon.    Until then, I have over 6 years worth of reading and pictures and stories to captivate you.   hahaha    I hope you seen something here today that you like,  andif you did, share it with someone you know and love.    Until we meet again, stay warm and be blessed.    God loves you and so do I!!!!   hugs, patty

No comments:

Post a Comment