Sunday, March 17, 2019

The Little Donkeys, I can just imagine

Good evening friends!!!  I hope and pray that where ever Y'all are today that you have had some sunshine!!!  The sunshine is beautiful here in my neck of the woods, so is the SON shine!!!    Any day you wake up is a glorious day.   But when you can be thankful and get your praise on when you wake up, that is the stuff that glorious days are made of!!   Don't you agree?   Sure you do.

I've had something swirling around in my mind for a few years and it finally shifted into place today and here it is.   I'm so thankful and grateful when God allows me to finally put into words some of the thoughts I've had.    This is just a look a couple of donkeys in the bible.  Like I said, this is the swirling mass that has been in my brain and I haven't known how to go about it until just recently and it just came to be.   I pray that you will read this prayerfully and just know that there is no deep theological meaning to this at all.   This is not meant for you gain theological understanding.   This has just been my thoughts for many years about two little donkeys in the Bible.   Read it to enjoy the read and the obvious truth in it.   But don't read anything into it that is not there.   The title of it is the title of the blog post.

The Little Donkeys, I can just imagine

The donkey is a lowly critter.     It's been called a little stubborn and ornery, among other things.    It's a small little beast of burden.    It has been known to be a pack animal, carrying big heavy loads.   Oh, it's not uncommon to drive around in the countryside and see a donkey in the field, among some of the other more favorable animals.   I've heard it said that a donkey will keep predators away from other animals and that's why you see them on farms sometimes.  Who determines what an animals duty in life will be?    Who assigned their particular roles?

Donkeys have been used as work animals for more than 5000 years and that there are more than 40 million donkeys in the world today.    Working donkeys were and are associated with those living at or below poverty level.   In some cultures they were also associated with wealth.    They continue to fill important roles in many places around the world today.   Donkeys live and thrive in climates and places around the world that a horse can't survive in.    They were used in early days as a means of mobility for cultural survival, being pack animals.     Man and donkeys have worked together side by side for many many years.   Donkeys adapt to the land and the job they are to do.  They are surefooted and can climb and work in just about any terrain.    Donkeys have been known for their stubbornness and this can be associated with their strong sense of preservation and a weaker connection to human beings because people have always chosen horses over donkeys.   But still, there are things a horse can't do that a donkey can do.   Studies have shown donkeys to be quite intelligent, cautious, friendly, playful and eager to learn.  

They are mentioned all throughout the Bible.   There are several stories in the Bible in which a donkey plays a key role.    One of them is in regards to Balaam's donkey.    It is of importance to note, I guess, the cross shape on the back and shoulders of donkeys in black hair.   Some see that as the symbol of Christ riding on a donkey.    There are lots of sayings and insults attributed to the donkey.  I'll let you search for those.   They are also associated with politics, but that's another story altogether.

The lowly donkey.    A stubborn little thing.    It's sure footed and can carry most anything you place on it.    If you scare it, it will stand there and stare you down.    Curiosity is one reason they are called stubborn.   Because they are not afraid of much.    At one time, most everyone had a donkey.   If you traveled, you had a donkey to carry your belongings.    Even today, in parts of the world, a lot of travel is still done with donkeys. 

I can just imagine the donkey that Mary rode on when she was great with child and she and Joseph was going to be counted in the census.   I can just imagine that lowly little creature realized that he was carrying God's Son on his back when Mary was riding his back.    I can just imagine here a little bit too, because we don't know what the donkey thought or knew.   But them being perceptive animals, I can just imagine that the donkey knew he was carrying Precious Cargo.   I can just imagine that he, the donkey, was a little more sure footed than usual.   Since Jesus and John knew each other in their mothers wombs, I can just imagine that Jesus communicated with the donkey while still in His mother's womb.   Far fetched thought I know, it actually is far fetched.   But I can just imagine that if He had wanted to communicate with the little donkey, that He certainly could have.   And just because there is no record of it, doesn't mean He didn't.

I can just imagine that this donkey stepped a little differently after his task of carrying Mary to Bethlehem.    I have always imagined it just like this, that the donkey carried Jesus to His birthplace, by carrying His mother, Mary to Bethlehem.    I can just imagine this.    The King of Kings and Lord and Lords came riding in to His kingdom on a donkey.    When we think of kings and lords we usually associate them with royalty and military.   Neither of those words describe our Lord and Savior.   Oh, to me, those words don't even do Him justice, but the world has never seen Him as anything but someone who is a disturbance to them and their sin.    But, He is my King and my Lord and far greater than anything this world will ever know as king and lord.    And I can just imagine that Jesus meant a lot to the little donkey that carried Him in to Bethlehem to be born.    I would love to know how he communicated with his donkey friends about the task that he had been chosen to do.   I can just imagine that he told his story as humbly as a little donkey could, while trying to keep his pride from getting the best of him.   But, in all honesty, he could be very proud of the task that he had done.    After all, no one else would ever have such an honor as his.

No one, except the little donkey chosen to carry Jesus to His death.   I can just imagine this little donkey probably didn't have any choice over the task at hand either, any more than the one that carried Him to His birth.   But, I can just imagine, that he done his job just as noble as the first little donkey did.   Jesus may have told this little donkey what was going to happen.  I can just imagine that it is possible that this little donkey was a relative to the one that carried Him to His birth, but, I don't know.   When we are just imagining, I guess anything is possible.   Can you just imagine the importance of the task at hand?    This little donkey would be fulfilling prophecy in the Old Testament.   I can just imagine that with each step up the palm branch laden road that this little donkey felt a little more heart pain with each step.   Oh, I don't know if donkeys have broken hearts or not, but I can just imagine if Jesus communicated with him in any way about the mission that this little donkey had been called to do, that he took this task seriously. 
  
What would this little donkey say to you or me if he could talk and tell us about his experience?  Do you think he would tell us that it was an honor to carry such a person on his back?   Oh, I can just imagine he would.   I can just imagine he would tell us about all the obstacles along the way that he avoided just to keep our Savior safe while on his back.    I can just imagine he would tell us just how broken hearted Jesus really was at what was happening and going to happen shortly.    This was the mission of Jesus and He knew that, but can you just imagine being in His shoes and knowing what was ahead of you in the all too near future.   I can just imagine that the mere act of sitting on the donkey allowed the donkey to feel some of the impending danger and doom that lay ahead for our Savior.   I can also just imagine that for one split second that little donkey wished he was a very large fast stallion, so he could wisk our Savior away to safety.   I can also just imagine that is probably why a small slow donkey was chosen.  So the will of God could be carried out so perfectly, with our Savior being our perfect sacrifice for our sin.   This little donkey fulfilled his calling in life by being the transportation that our Lord and Savior rode to the cross on.    He done what he was destined to do.  They both did.    The first donkey carried our Savior to Bethlehem to His birth and the second donkey carried our Savior to His death on the cross.  

I know that none of my imaginings about these two little donkeys is factual other than the fact that they did what they did.   They were the chosen transportation for our Lord and Savior.    But, you know what, this is some of the things that I have just imagined over the years when I think about those little donkeys.   I have a deep love in my heart for these two little creatures that were chosen for their purpose.   I hope that if you have never thought of them like this, that maybe, just maybe, you will now.

And we know the next time our Lord and Savior rides on the back of an animal it will be a strong and mighty beast, a white horse, created for it's mission and purpose.  To bring the King of Kings and Lord of Lords to claim His own!!!   Praise His mighty and holy name!!!!    Three creatures created for the sole purpose of carrying our Lord and Savior.   One to His birth, one to His death and one to His triumphant return!!   I can only imagine this is the only factual statement in this whole scenario.   This has not been to mislead anyone, it's just where my mind goes when I think of the little donkeys in our Savior's  story.   I don't know that my thoughts are true, but I don't know they aren't either.  I just know that I have new found respect for the little donkeys, I can just imagine you do too.  
written by: pjg 03-17-19

Well, that's what I had to share with y'all today.   It started out as swirling mass in my mind, but hopefully it is something to think about as we approach the time of Jesus' death and resurrection.   I pray that if you don't know much about the birth, life, death, resurrection and ascension of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ that today will be the day you chose to learn more.  I must add too, that the only way you can call Him Lord and Savior is if you have made the personal decision to repent and ask Christ into your heart and accept Christ as Lord of your life.   That's it.   There is no other way to the Father, except thru His Son.   The world says there are many roads to the Father.   Actually that's what the devil says and the world believes his lies.   Scripture says there is only ONE way, and that way is Jesus Christ!!   Praise His holy and precious name!!!

Remember that you are loved by God, He does not love our sin, but He will help us when we cry out to Him for help.   When we have a desire to do better than our sin, God will help us!!!  As a Christian, we have Holy Spirit in us, but we have got to listen to Him.   If we say we are a Christian, and still do the things we done before we accepted Christ, and we are not growing in our faith, and sin does not bother us and we keep doing it and not feeling remorse, then something is wrong.   More than likely, we had a religion but not a relationship.   Christianity is a relationship with Christ!!!   Christianity is not religion.   Christianity is about faith in Christ alone, by the grace of Christ alone and thru the mercy of Christ alone!!!   Faith, grace and mercy!!!!   Religion is about works.       I hope and pray that y'all have a great rest of the evening, a restful night of sweet peaceful sleep and that you arise tomorrow with a nev found fervor in your step and you set out to have the best day ever!!!   hugs and love, patty

No comments:

Post a Comment